DONATE TO THE GET FREE YOUTH PROGRAM!
Get Free is a week-long artistic, intellectual, emotional and practical program for queer and trans youth of color that focuses on the inner work it takes to Get Free in a world where, for us—people who experience oppression based on race and queerness or transness—just surviving is a feat. Through writing, dreaming, screaming, owning up, and facing who we are, who we have been, and who we might become, we aim to start an emotional r/evolution that will reverberate throughout our lives and our communities.
This FREE, week-long program includes daily workshops, creative projects, discussions, confessions and solutions re:
- Taking steps toward healing our own individual trauma so that we can come together in healthier ways
- Treating each other better, causing less harm, and being accountable to each other for the harm we do cause
- Speaking truth about, and pushing back against, racism, misogyny, ableism, and various other forms of oppression within QTPOC communities
- and more.
BGD is committed to amplifying the voices of queer and trans people of color and that includes doing everything we can to help our people find their voices. We believe that finding your voice requires looking inward with courage, clarity and compassion. We believe that looking inward is the first step towards getting FREE.
The next Get Free Program will take place in 2020!
To participate in this program, you must be ALL of the following:
- between the ages of 16 and 21 (on June 24, 2020)
- and a Black, Indigenous or person of color who experiences oppression based on race
- and someone who identifies as queer and/or trans (even if you use other words for it)
The program is FREE. Workshops, lodging and food will be covered by BGD (in collaboration with our community and with the support of our donors). Scholarships are available to help cover travel costs to Oakland, CA.
Check out our FAQ here.
DONATE to support this project!
Your donations will go towards travel costs for youth, language-access needs for youth, and space and staff for the program.
Got miles you’d like to donate for our youth to get to Oakland? Excellent! Contact us at bgd (at) bgdpress (dot) com